Addiction recovery can be an emotional and physical journey for those who have battled a substance use disorder. Addiction can take a significant toll on physical, emotional and mental health, making it important that those in recovery look for ways to replenish their energy and wellbeing. Building strong relationships and developing a lifestyle where wellness and self-care can become a priority can be critical for successful recovery and long-term sobriety.
Though professional treatment and recovery should always include professional counseling, medication management, and other services, there are also many alternative forms of therapy and activities available to help recovering addicts maintain sobriety and achieve balance. Natural strategies for replenishing wellness, energy, and resources while in recovery may include the following:
1. Exercise – One of the best ways to boost physical and psychological well-being is simply exercising, whether indoors or outdoors. Exercise helps to reduce stress, increase endorphins, and improve energy levels. It is important to find an exercise routine that is enjoyable and provides necessary outlets. Activities like walking, running, biking, or swimming can be beneficial and make recovery from addiction a more pleasant process. For those who need help sticking to an exercise routine, fitness centers and online resources can provide accountability and support for staying on track.
2. Nature – Being outside in nature can be incredibly calming and therapeutic for those in addiction recovery. Taking walks, enjoying the beauty of nature, and engaging in activities such as gardening or bird-watching can provide much-needed distraction and relaxation. With the emergence of smartphone technology, local hiking, camping, and outdoor recreational opportunities can often be found and accessed quickly.
3. Healthy Eating – Eating healthy foods can significantly help those in addiction recovery fuel their bodies with the right nutrient-dense foods, such as fruits, vegetables, proteins, and whole grains. Nutrition influences both physical and mental health, so it is important to nourish the body while helping to maintain a healthy weight. Fueling the body with healthy foods may also help reduce cravings and mental discomfort that may be associated with addiction.
4. Self-care – Self-care is critical for addiction recovery as it can help calm and relax the mind and body, reduce stress levels, and bring comfort. Self-care can be as simple as taking a warm bath, reading a book, or doing a favorite hobby. Taking the time to self-reflect and practice mindfulness can bring peace and help nourish the spiritual aspect of recovery.
5. Social Support – Developing strong relationships with a network of friends, family, and professionals can provide proper support during recovery. Having access to a trusted activity or support group is beneficial in providing encouragement, positive reinforcement, and social interaction to help remain motivated and accountable.
There are many helpful and natural ways to replenish wellness while in addiction recovery. Creating a balanced lifestyle that prioritizes self-care and incorporates healthy outlets is incredibly important for individuals in recovery. Healthy eating, exercise, natural environments, and social support can help individuals feel nourished and replenished while undergoing treatment. Recovery from addiction takes time, but incorporating natural ways to replenish and support recovery efforts can be critical for long-term sobriety and success.